Published by Matt Fichera on Jan 13 2020
Fiberglass vs. Gunite Pools: What’s the Difference?
Below are some differences between fiberglass pools cement (also known as gunite).
Fiberglass Pool Advantages:
- -Low maintenance
- -Low cost of ownership
- -Rapid install 3 to 6 weeks
- -Smooth gelcoat finish, bench seats, and sun decks
Fiberglass Pool Disadvantages:
- -Limited designs available
- -Most pools offered are non-diving
- -No wider than 16’ as they need to travel on the road.
Fiberglass Pool Installation:
- -Made in a factory-controlled environment
- -Area is excavated and leveled
- -Pool comes precast and a crane is used to install it.
Gunite Pool Advantages:
- -Pool is constructed on-site allowing the builder to fit in in basically any area of your yard.
- -Size, shape, and depth are highly customizable, if you can imagine it, it can be built. There’re really no limits.
- -Extremely durable because they’re built using a steel web, poured concrete
Gunite Pool Disadvantages:
- -Installation period is anywhere from 3 to 6 months
- -High cost of ownership
- -More maintenance work including: cement replacement, tile work, acid wash, etc.
Gunite Pool Installation:
- -The area is excavated
- -Steel web is inlayed
- -Concrete is poured over steel web and is shaped as desired.
We would be glad to answer any other questions. Check out our Fiberglass Pool Informational Hub and contact us to get the pool conversation started.